Renmin Park, volume 1 (the lyrics)

It’s always hard to say what a song or group of songs are about. It’s no different for those on Renmin Park, but I’ll give it a shot;….abandoned children, abandoned mothers….governments and their fetish for leather and steel…alienation…sights seen, voices heard, friendships formed….personal histories, myths, stories told…the incalculable advantage of the alternate perspective…the great divide, romance, the addictive rush of the broken heart…the benefit of early morning exercise….discovery….giraffes and small dogs….the capacity of the human mind for great harm…the capacity of the human heart for great good….diesel fumes….beauty and fear…scapegoats, heroes, and villains and the fine line that divides them all… inevitability…cultural appropriation, perhaps…human nature, mother nature…mercilessness….English philosophers…people.

Here are a couple of final mixes:

Tags: , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 6th, 2010 at 8:42 pm and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

11 Responses to “Renmin Park, volume 1 (the lyrics)”

1. michaelo Says:

April 6th, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Lovely lyrics on Little Dark Heart. Is it a waltz–like the soundtrack to a Saturday-night church social? Nice mix; lush production. Dig the back vox, Mike, on Cicadas; it buzzes; it’s funky. If you segued to I Don’t Want To Be A Soldier in concert you’d slay us all. (Have you ever played that live? I don’t believe you have.) I’ve said all along you can dance to Cowboy Junkies.

2. Loukia Says:

April 9th, 2010 at 11:38 am

Nothing like a slow sad waltz. I first heard Little Dark Heart performed in Evanston, IL and then two nights later in Milwaukee, WI both times sitting next to my best friend Andrea whom I was visiting in Chicago. It was confirmed; this is my new anthem. It speaks to me at this time of mourning the sudden loss of my husband who passed away 4 months ago of an aortic aneurysm at the age of 42. Beyond this, I think it speaks to me in general because it touches at the very core. Sitting here now back in my empty flat in Athens, Greece I want to thank you, Mike, for you have done it yet again.

Since I am a lyrics-based person and write poetry myself, I am wondering if these lyrics are in print form yet. I would love to see them written down though I realize it is a bit early.

Also, not included above but also very dear to my heart in this new batch is the song Stranger Here both for its existentialist pursuit and its resonance to always being a stranger in a strange land both here and there.

3. Jason Says:

April 9th, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Loukia, thanks for sharing. It was a pleasure meeting you and seeing Andrea again in Milwaukee.

4. Loukia Says:

April 10th, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Thnx Jason. Likewise.
    I guess Mike doesn’t read this.

5. Barry Says:

April 11th, 2010 at 6:50 am

Thanks Mike- Love ‘em both- When will the Clubhouse Subscription be up for $? I’m ready!!!

6. Sean Says:

April 12th, 2010 at 5:05 am

Great stuff as always…Hoping to see the CJ’s in Australia sometime…please ( :

7. Loukia Says:

April 12th, 2010 at 11:00 am

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. That is good to hear. It was wonderful to see you again as well.

8. Klas Hedengren Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 9:30 am

Love all your “doing”music! :) Please come to Sweden sometime…

9. Sabrina Says:

June 12th, 2010 at 5:41 am

I truly like your blog, please keep posting.

10. ed Says:

September 2nd, 2010 at 11:02 am

I loved little dark heart so much as soon as I heard it that I recorded a cover version as a sound experiment-I’m learning to use virtual studios. I posted it on youtube and hope no one takes it the wrong way. I was just so blown away by this song!!!

11. Sandy Says:

September 14th, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I am a newbie. Just borrowed Rarites, B Sides from a friend and am wowed by Sad to See the Season Go. It is spookily on to where I’m at and I’m impressed with the lyrics. I “tabbed” it (well, chords and lyrics anyway). I’d like to post it. Suggestions where to? I use Chordie for searching but that’s not a database. In this post you say the songs are about, among other things “the addictive rush of the broken heart”. That’s a wicked thing to ponder, let alone write about. Guess I’ll have to dig into the band to see what’s going on here.