Tour Diary – Salt Lake City, UT (June 24, 2010)

Temple Square

Jason looked at the map and decided that maybe he should miss the 15 hour drive to Salt Lake City. So I am reclaiming the Tour Diary for Salt Lake City. Jason will return for the end of the road in Denver.

We started coming here twenty years ago. At that time it was pretty obvious there wasn’t a reason for the city to be here except that God had said it was to be so, and, unfortunately, God is not a very good urban planner. It was a dull, uninspiring town. But over the past couple of decades (and the Olympics probably helped a lot) this city has evolved into an energetic, if still homogonous, city. It’s still dominated by God, but there are enough outside influences kicking against the pricks, to give it a bit of a spark. There seems to be quite a few young street punks ambling about, which means that there is rebellion brewing in the suburbs, which is a sign of good things to come. It’s now an interesting place to visit and it should get even more interesting in the coming years.

Whenever we are in Salt Lake I always take the time to stroll around Temple Square, the Mormon Church’s power center. I find it to be one of the most peaceful pieces of public real estate in the urban USA (I guess its technically private real estate, but it’s always a very welcoming and open space which gives it a very public feel). It has a very focussed energy. The gardens and the buildings are absurdly tidy and clean but there is something inspiring about the place, maybe it’s all of those choice pieces of scripture carved in granite and set throughout the square.

It was an outdoor gig tonight, part of the Arts Festival, with a very enthusiastic audience. RocknRolla.  It was a very fun night.

The Temple

Tags: , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, June 25th, 2010 at 10:58 am and is filed under Tour Diary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

6 Responses to “Tour Diary – Salt Lake City, UT (June 24, 2010)”

1. Mark Says:

June 25th, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Hey Cowboy Junkies. Saw you last night. Loved the show! Great rock n roll! \Murder\ was killer. And what was that amazing jam three or four songs in? You guys were great! I’ll be looking for your return.

Devout Utah Mormon and old Junkies fan,
    Mark

2. Marshall Says:

June 26th, 2010 at 1:33 am

Man what show! Short but sweet,sweet,sweet. I don’t mind there was the whole days focus put into that 1 hour plus event. I had the most satisfying day thinking back on the phenomenal performance of Thursday night. I was wondering what it might be like to be a junkie gypsy going from show to show, city to city catching every live performance possible Thanks for the sublime memory

M. Briggs

3. Rick Wallach Says:

June 26th, 2010 at 8:24 am

Mike’s blog reminded me of that very funny Bob Weir song “Salt Lake City” off’n his Heaven Help the Fool album. Here’s another bit of SLC lore: Harry Reems sells real estate there under his real name. And so it goes.

4. Barry Says:

June 26th, 2010 at 10:15 am

Great pics Mike, although I am an atheist I can appreciate fine architecture. I had a chance to go to Germany and Austria back in \High\ School and toured some beautiful churches and castles. The Junkies in Coppenhagen…always wanted to go there and this may be the \twist in the arm\ that is necessary. Say Hi to the band and wish you all a very safe and rewarding trip !! Peace, Barry

5. Guy Phawkes Says:

June 28th, 2010 at 8:09 am

After becoming a junkie of the junkies, last night was the heaviest I have ever seen. Mind you I have driven to Canada to see them play at Steelback in 04, and that was just as wonderful, I mean how can you ever be let down by the Junkies.
    I has been waiting on this one for months, so when it came, I was just like a kid ready to burst at christmas. They casually came out, and plugged in, and just let it rip. Playing a mix, half the new album, and then some vintage numbers. The Junkies have a catalog so large, its all good so, you cant complain about a set. Lay it down, Horse in the country, Hold on me, Sweet Jane was the closing number. What freaked me the most was the song “Stranger” from the new album, VIOLENT . Francis Bacon was great too, I mean how can you come up with a setlist to say was bad? Just go , listen to them play, youll get a different set every night. THis was by far the heaviest, hardest gig I have ever had from the Junkies. Heavy songs on the new album, and dark content, but wow, cant complain man, they are the embodiement of AMERICANA that U2 tried to put across in the Joshua Tree, if you want to know what U2 was trying to give us, go listen to the Junkies.

6. Barry Says:

July 3rd, 2010 at 6:25 am

Hey Fernando thanks for sharing but what does this have to do with this subject??