Tour Diary (July 21 – 22, 2010)

abortion ralley

Day 4  - Charlotte, NC: It was as hot as Megan Fox in Transformers 1. I barely left the bus: once in the morning to find coffee, and a second time to check out a very disturbing anti-abortion rally on a downtown corner, complete with raging preacher and photos of butchered babies. This is a strange town. But why wouldn’t it be. Lots of money floating around, lots of poverty too and then there’s that Southern thang adrift in the humidity. This venue (the McGlohan Theater) is a beauty. It looks good, it feels good and it sounds great. It’s always a treat to play here because the audiences are always enthusiastic. What comes first, the venue or the audience? I think that each feeds the other. I had a tough show tonight and could never really find the handle. It wasn’t a bad show, it just didn’t take off. But the audience cheered and egged us on throughout, which is always much appreciated.

IN DOOR

Day 5 – Knoxville, TN: I woke up in a Wal-Mart parking lot. The best thing about it was that I didn’t have to change out of my PJs to go shopping. A great way to start the day. We then moved on to a very good record store called the Disc Exchange where Margo, Jeff and I played a very fun acoustic set to a very appreciative gathering. Jeff and I watched Ed Harris and Vigo M play a couple of real cool cats in Appaloosa. After soundcheck some of us had a crappy dinner at a big brew hall down the street. Tonight, another very fine music venue, The Bijou, and a small, but excellent audience: enthusiastic and appreciative. I had a lot of fun. Our late night movie was 44 Inch Chest: a nasty and very twisted English gangster film, which doesn’t quite hit the mark.  Not too hot today, but steamy as a lobster pot in a Maine kitchen.

Father and Son

Tags: , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, July 23rd, 2010 at 8:18 am and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

7 Responses to “Tour Diary (July 21 – 22, 2010)”

1. Martin Says:

July 23rd, 2010 at 9:15 am

Next time you come to Charlotte, NC please contact me. I’ll show you a much better view of our town. We’re not the lunatics you found on the corner. Will see you guys in Asheville, NC tonight at the Orange Peel.

2. Jason Says:

July 23rd, 2010 at 11:26 am

Must be a nation wide abortion rally as I saw the same pictures in Illinois last week.

3. James Toomey Says:

July 23rd, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Hey you guys..are maybe I should say, \Hey y’all\..due to the fact I am kinda from the South. Excellent gig at the music store in Knoxville. Thank you for including that in your hectic schedule.

4. Stan Says:

July 24th, 2010 at 4:04 am

My wife and I thought you had a great show in Charlotte…but that was my first time seeing you so I don’t have much to compare. I too love the acoustics at McGlohon. Hope you come through again sometime and meantime you have two new fans!

5. Ron Says:

July 24th, 2010 at 4:06 pm

3rd time seeing you in Charlotte. Was very good, again. I was on the front row, and you looked kind of bored. Interesting how Alan never looks up. Y’all were very entertaining nonetheless. Margo sings so well and is interesting to watch. First time I saw you was in the mid 90s for Pale Sun Crescent Moon tour. Such a fine CD. Wish you had played more from that, but song set was good. Misguided Angel was particularly good. Hope you come back to Charlotte again. You have a faithful audience here.

6. Cliff Says:

July 25th, 2010 at 7:31 am

I took my wife, who rarely goes to concerts and a couple of friends and we thorougly enjoyed the show. I always like to sit in the balcony in the McGlohon. Loved hearing “Don’t Let it Bring you Down”. Also, the songs from Renmin Park got my attention more live than they did on my first listen to the record before the show. I went back and listened to the record after the show and I liked it alot more. As to the abortion lunatics, they were on some travelling tour and had just stopped in Charlotte. Charlotte is a fairly progressive town but at the same time has a bank-based economy and certainly more than its share of conservatism, particularly in the outlying areas. I have seen Steve Earle, Allison Moorer, Johnny Cash and Michelle Shocked in that same venue, by the way!

7. Cliff Says:

July 25th, 2010 at 7:44 am

I meant to mention I also saw Kathleen Edwards there, too. What is it about you folks from Ontario? You sure as hell know how to make some great music. Anyway, I working my way through your website and listening to your covers. You have the best website of any band around. Thanks !!!