18 month anniversary today….OMG…epic FAIL…

Last year we announced that we were about to undertake a four album project called The Nomad Series and that the project was going to be completed in 18 months. Well, depending on how you do the calculation, today is the 18 month anniversary. The way I figure it, we officially released volume 1 (Renmin Park) on June 16th, 2010, so I count that as the official start of the ticking clock. Projecting 18 months forward from that day lands us squarely in the middle of today. So what can I say…oops…we tried, we failed…mea culpa…. My excuse is that the reality of earning a living got in the way of our ambition and I had to suspend production on Volume 4 when I got offered to do the music score for a very interesting documentary project called My Father And The Man In Black (more on that in the months to come). This set the production schedule back by about six weeks. In any case, the good news is that all of the recording for Volume 4 (The Wilderness) has been completed and we have just started mixing. We aim to have the album finished and mastered by mid January and to have the finished goods in hand when we start touring again in February. Once we have the finished master (in mid-January) we plan to have a one day listening party for the new album on the website, so that we can claim that we only missed our deadline by a few weeks (we’ll give everyone a lot of notice about the date when we finalise the details).
Ultimately, the whole point of the project was to put out four albums that forced us to stretch our imaginations and talents and to pull on the experience that we have accumulated in our 25 plus years as a band. We also wanted to make sure that we pushed the expectations of those of you still listening. We think we have done that and we hope you agree. Quality first…right? We think Volume 4 will be a fitting capper to the whole project. I’ll start blogging about the making of the album and posting audio in the New Year, so don’t wander too far. We will also be having a blowout sale in the Junk Store starting right after Christmas so keep your eyes on the site.

This entry was posted on Friday, December 16th, 2011 at 8:17 am and is filed under news. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

9 Responses to “18 month anniversary today….OMG…epic FAIL…”

1. Shang Says:

December 16th, 2011 at 8:28 am

By no stretch of the imagine would I consider this project, or the inability to deliver all four volumes in 18 months, an “epic fail.” Pleeeeeez. Volumes 1-3 have far surpassed my expectations (and they were high). Looking forward to Volume 4 when it arrives. Happy holidays folks. I look forward to seeing you live in the spring.

2. mike Says:

December 16th, 2011 at 8:30 am

Angels in the Wilderness is s such a beautiful song, and i can’t wait for a studio version.

3. Barry Says:

December 17th, 2011 at 4:20 am

Hey Mike- I don’t think any of us are counting, (although there is always that one OCD person counting by seconds), and like Shang I completely agree. The band has provided us w 3 beautiful new albums which show the incredible talent,brilliant song writing and preforming the music the way no other current band can or has. The 4th will be well worth the wait and I cannot wait to see you all in the States this spring. I am a Clubhouse member and have not only downloaded all 3 but purchased as well. The 4 set release will be the ultimate payoff. Thanks for the heads up, just wanted you to know that at least this fan can wait and hope there will be a Clubhouse subscription 2. May all the band, crew and family members thereof have a very happy and safe holiday season!! Peace Barry

4. Barry Says:

December 18th, 2011 at 4:40 am

No Failure here- you have put out 3 killer releases and have continued touring, amazing. Looking forward to the fourth and seeing you all live this spring in the US. Cannot wait until the book/box set is ready and have not only downloaded all as a Clubhouse member but purchased individually as well. Will there be a Clubhouse 2? Sure hope so and thanks to all the band members, crew, blair, family members thereof- have a Wonderful and safe Holiday Season. The most brilliant band around- keep the great music comming!! Maybe another Cookie Crumbs to hold us over.
    P.S.- Not to overwork you all, Clubhouse 2 could be all live soundboard recordings and I think many of us would be happy w this. Peace- Barry

5. James Says:

December 19th, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Epic fail? Not! I wasn’t keeping track of time and hadn’t noticed Volume 4 was a little tardy. I’m definitely still listening and there is no doubt that you have succeeded in meeting all my expectations. I’m eagerly anticipating The Wilderness and hope that there are more “Series” to follow. Thank you in advance. PS – Of the many songs that I liked in Volumes 1-3, I think Cicadas was my favorite.

6. Mark Hover Says:

December 19th, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Hey Mike (& ALL)
    ….Tried?….Failed?….Mea Culpa?….Excuse? What is this all about? All this is soo unnecessary. I agree with the others, we have been so rewarded for what you have done thus far. I can’t think of ANY band/group that has put out this much QUALITY music in such a short period of time. My mind is still trying to absorb the first three volumes in their entirety, to wait another six weeks or six months is nothing. I think I (we) have gotten my (our) monies worth with what has come down the pike so far.
    Being a Clubhouse Cat, I am the one who has FAILED. Failed by NOT downloading every single thing in the exclusive music department that I can get my “burner” on. I know I am running out of time (Dec.31) and the only EXCUSE I have is a personal one, so I will do my best. You guys PLEASE keep up the great job…I know the delay will make it even better. xoxo mark

7. Mike Timmins Says:

December 20th, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Hi Mark…thanks for the kind words…we have extended the Clubhouse Subscription to April 1…so, no hurry…

8. mark.jeri@verizon.net Says:

December 20th, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Hey Mike…Oh Ho Ho…I thought that was for the latecomers to the Clubhouse. I actually went through Topspin and tried to purchase an extension and they didn’t mention it. They told me last week that I had until Dec. 31 to download anything. Great News! Thanks much! …. April 1??? Geez..you will be on Vol 2 of a trilogy by then. jk….lol.

9. Greg Carrier Says:

December 30th, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Mike, don’t sweat it. It’s about the music, and the Nomad series has been exceptional. Really looking forward to Volume 4.