Happy Festivus…Angels In The Wilderness

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season. Here is the quasi-title track from the upcoming Volume 4 (The Wilderness)…our holiday gift to all of you for taking the time and making the effort to listen to what we create. This song owes a huge debt to the Marilynne Robinson novel “Gilead” (as do many of the songs on “The Wilderness”). I have a habit of copying inspiring passages or lines in my notebook when I am reading. I often refer to these notes when I’m doing my own writing or when I’m stuck and looking for a direction. I think I could have copied half of this novel into my notebook. The novel takes the form of a letter written by an elderly, dying pastor to his seven year old son. It is a dense read and the type of book that you only want to undertake when you know you have a good stretch of time to devote to sitting, reading and thinking (such a luxury these days, eh?). Here is a sampling from the book…mull on these thoughts as you stand in line at Target, waiting to return Uncle Ernie’s holiday offerings…”A father must finally give his child up to the wilderness – trust that there will be angels in that wilderness.” …and as you inch closer to the cashier…”We fly forgotten as a dream, leaving the forgetful world behind us to trample and mar and misplace everything we have ever cared for. That is just the way of it, and it is remarkable.” Have a fantastic break…enjoy the music.

This entry was posted on Thursday, December 22nd, 2011 at 1:07 pm and is filed under news. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

9 Responses to “Happy Festivus…Angels In The Wilderness”

1. Jason Says:

December 22nd, 2011 at 6:29 pm

My favorite “unreleased” song is the band’s long, rich history. Been aching for this song since it popped up on tour a few years back. Excellent version here. Volume Four already my favorite…..

2. Paul Wheelock Says:

December 22nd, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Wow…such a beautiful song. I am so looking forward to “The Wilderness.” You have given us so much wonderful music in the last 25 years and so much incredible music in the last 18 months. I don’t know how you do it, but am thankful that you do. Thank you.

3. Leanna Says:

December 23rd, 2011 at 11:42 am

Beautiful as always. You guys have been my godsend on several occasions…..thank you. I’ll keep on listening. :)

4. Lisa Says:

December 23rd, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Gorgeous…love your music. It’s so hypnotic.

5. Barry Says:

December 24th, 2011 at 5:44 am

Thanks Mike- stunning and brilliant!! Wishing you and your families a safe and joyous holiday season- time to take a break and spend time w family. Again- you remain the Best Band around and continue to produce the most brilliant and innovative music out there- We Are Grateful for all you (collectively) do!! Any plans for Clubhouse 2 in the works? Peace- Barry

6. Mike Says:

December 24th, 2011 at 8:53 am

The first time we heard this song was in Nelsonville,OH. A beautiful song, extraordinary area of the country, and a fanastic old opera house. The song came through that night with such soft tones and Margo’s singing just breathe taking. It was also the day we were able to give more than just coffee to our favorite people,the day,Pete accepted a musical gift from us. Now my father is on his way out and the explaination of this song is so right on with my thoughts. Although it is myself sending these words or thoughts to him. His soul is not full and he needs to be clear about what he has, or has NOT inspired his siblings to be. I wish for him to finally see the angels(or spirits in my mind)have always been there and he needed to take from them the beauty of the world. Thank you Mike for these thoughts you inspired to come out on this blog. This needed to be said in a place without judgement and a place where kind angels lurk. I am ready for the spirits(angels of the wilderness) to take him away
    Happy Christmas. Happy Winter Solstice
    Mike McShane

7. Erv Says:

December 27th, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Beautiful and moving Mike – thanks, as always, for sharing your work in progress. This one went right to my heart, but then again so many Cowboys songs do. Happy 2012!

8. monchichipox Says:

December 27th, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Instant favorite….please please please let Georgia E make the final cut. The quality of the bootleg I have is so poor….

9. dean Says:

December 30th, 2011 at 4:21 am

always heartfelt always uplifting , cowboy junkies always with me