Tour Diary – Providence RI and Ridgefield CT, (Feb 25 and 26)

Providence
There is no getting around it…it’s a weird town. A huge organized crime presence, two prestigious educational institutes (Brown and RISD) and the money and culture that comes along with those institutions, and lots and lots of street crime. All of our gigs here have been a little unsettling and I don’t know if we’ve ever played any venue here other than a bar. Tonight was no different: although the Fete (where the gig was tonight) is a very good venue with a very friendly and helpful staff. I think we rocked like demons. I think the audience enjoyed themselves, although the bar at the back attracted the geese, who were polite enough to stop honking during the quieter numbers. We definitely rocked liked demons.

We spent the day on the bus in the alley behind the club. A very sketchy part of town, but there seems to be concerted effort to reclaim it as an Arts area. It was right around the corner from the world famous New York System hot dog joint. We ate wieners all day.

Ridgefield
Money, money, money, moooooonnnney……the Ridgefield anthem. Just far enough outside of Manhattan to keep the rabble at bay, but a close enough commute so that the battle can be taken-up at dawn. This is a beautiful town with a spectacular collection of 19th century mansions along its Main Street. While walking along the pre-revolutionary war downtown strip, I was accosted by two post-revolutionary war women who asked me to sign a petition to keep a high density (four stories), affordable housing development from being built in/near the town…”near single family homes”. It’s a beautiful town….and they’re going to keep it that way, goshdamnit. I’m not sure if it was the building that they were against or the texture of the people that would be inhabiting it…although I can probably guess.

The Ridgefield Playhouse is a very nice little venue and we always feel very supported when we come to this town. We had an amazing show tonight; full of energy and invention and passion. While on stage tonight I had my bi-annual epiphany….man this is fun, I don’t want to ever stop doing this.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, February 29th, 2012 at 10:11 pm and is filed under Tour Diary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

10 Responses to “Tour Diary – Providence RI and Ridgefield CT, (Feb 25 and 26)”

1. Patrick Says:

February 29th, 2012 at 10:21 pm

This is a really cool outreach! Hope you’ll keep it up and hope you’ll make it to the Bay Area soon! Love your music!

2. Jason Says:

February 29th, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Good (?) to see Providence and Ridgefield haven’t changed a bit since I followed you guys there a few years back…..

3. Nikolaj Noel Christensen Says:

March 1st, 2012 at 4:17 am

It would be lovely to see in Copenhagen, maybe in little vega ( lille vega ) this time? Since I could understand playing at Christania was quite an experience, even though great.

Just going through your hole catalog at the moment, as a new junkie hehe ;).

4. Cindy Gurriere Says:

March 1st, 2012 at 4:19 am

Come to Phoenix Metro area, Arizona!! Love you guys. Miss seeing you at the CoachHouse in SJC, CA:-)

5. Cookie Bob Says:

March 1st, 2012 at 4:58 am

Rocked like demons in Providence – I couldn’t agree more. Ithaca was good,but had the subdued vibe of the first show of the tour. I skipped NJ,and what a difference a day makes! Providence found the band settled in and sounding comfortable,despite the “beauty” of the area doing it’s best to make one uncomfortable. Ridgefield was also a solid show,with much to enjoy throughout. I like the 2 set format,especially the Nomad set,and the request portion that helps keep things fresh each night. If you keep on playing this well,I might have to come to another show!

6. MrTalleyMon Says:

March 1st, 2012 at 6:37 am

I drove from Boston to the Providence show. Yes, the Fete was a very good venue (although in a slightly desolate, sketchy part of town). I must say, though, that Providence has come a long way in the past dozen years or so…. the Downtown area is actually quite nice, and has quite an active nightlife scene (we went there after the show).

Anyway, the show you guys put on there WAS FANTASTIC! I literally got goosebumps during a number of the tunes. Yeah, the geese (LOL!) back at the bar were annoying a few times, but (as you said), they quieted down when shoosed.

7. Phyllis Says:

March 1st, 2012 at 7:07 am

Margo – come back to northern New England – Vermont and New Hampshire!! We made the trip to Providence to see you (with our two teenage daughters!) and would do it again in a heartbeat, but we really loved seeing you play at the Lebanon (NH) Opera House years ago. People are friendly here, there is a almost no crime and we embrace affordable housing! Come back!

8. Cari K Says:

March 1st, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I have been a fan for years….I’ve seen you at Session at West 54th St in NYC, The Beacon Theater, Coconut’s Music (you signed an album for me!)in NYC, and a few other times…and now in Ridgefield, CT. I’m so glad you sang “Misguided Angel”! I always sang that as my “go-to lullaby” when my children were babies…and it soothed them every time. I was very excited to see that Jeff Bird was with you guys too! You make me smile :)

9. mary e ward Says:

March 3rd, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Michael – You are one of the most self aware individuals I have never met. To have a sister like Margo who can interpret and translate your feelings with her voice so perfectly is truly an amazing gift and a blessing. Margo’s voice is still so strong and nuanced, I was amazed. And then to have you collectively interpret Neil and Vic so well is such an inspiration to those of us whose lives you validate when we feel we don’t have a voice against the passive/aggressive manipulative behavior that is considered normal all around us. I bought In the Wilderness and Singing In my Meadow at the show and am currently immersed in digesting this great new music in anticipation of your Somerville gig. I love the new tunes. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

10. Adrian Says:

March 24th, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Thanks so much for playing ‘Anniversary Song’ for us in Ridgefield. It was a night we will never forget. The best part was that my daughter was so embarrassed that you that you read my comment about the babysitter. You sound better than ever. I hope you post the concert at some point so we can relive the memories.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!