Tour Diary – Omaha and Salina (April 19 and 20, 2012)

Omaha, Nebraska
We spent the day in a parking lot in the rain. It was a nice parking lot, and at least there was a cafe that we could run to throughout the day, but we saw nothing of Omaha. The complex where the club is located, is part of a relatively new development on the outskirts of Omaha that has at its centerpiece a beautiful Triple A baseball stadium that is the annual home to the NCAA World Series. It wasn’t a bad place to spend a day. The club (The Slowdown) was clean and well run and comfortable. They even had a washer/dryer that they let us use and the staff was helpful and friendly. It doesn’t take much to keep a band on the road happy, just a smidge of TLC….It was another very light audience, but once again they were mighty in their appreciation and enthusiasm and did their best to keep us propped up and rocking forward.

Salina, Kansas
It’s one of those gigs that you look at on the tour itinerary and say to yourself, “…Salina, Kansas..??…”. You have no idea what you’ll find when you show up. What we found was another classic mid-western town with wide -streets, three story buildings with those 100 year old brick facades and not a whole lot happening on the downtown strip. While walking the wide empty sidewalks one keeps checking to see if ones six-shooter is easily accessible….no telling when Black Bart will emerge from the saloon looking for a fight. But what we also found was a beautiful venue (the Steifel Theater) and an enthusiastic, decent sized audience. We were again treated royally by the promoter and the theater staff. We had a really good show.

Tags: , ,

This entry was posted on Sunday, April 22nd, 2012 at 11:04 am and is filed under Tour Diary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

7 Responses to “Tour Diary – Omaha and Salina (April 19 and 20, 2012)”

1. Garrick Says:

April 22nd, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Thanks for coming to Salina. I grew up there and have many fond memories of movie matinees of the Stiefel (then known as the Fox Theatre). Though I now live 5 hours away, I didn’t mind a bit driving back for my very first CJ show (about time after 24 years of absolute fandom). The concert was everything I had hoped for and an outstanding display of musicianship. Come back again soon.

2. cthomas Says:

April 23rd, 2012 at 10:13 am

My wife and I came down from Kansas City. We’ve been devoted fans for around 12 years. We really enjoyed it and love it when you come through the Midwest. My highlights of the night were Wrong Piano, Sing in My Meadow, Good Friday (love that song), Don’t Let It Bring You Down, and the woman sitting behind us cackling every time Margo sang “Fuck, I Hate the Cold”. It was a good cackle.

Thanks for everything. Also I am really liking the Nomad Series.

3. rthomas Says:

April 23rd, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I am the wife mentioned by cthomas. The show was breath-taking. Though we have been coming to see the Junkies for over 10 years, this concert really gave me a renewed respect for the song writing skill that Micheal has demonstrated for so many years; and Margo’s voice has, if anything, only become more lovely. Thank you for a great show and all this new material!

4. AK Says:

April 23rd, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Thank you so much for visiting Omaha. It was a real pleasure to have you. I’m 23 and it was my first time seeing you; I’d been counting down the days. I was right by the stage, and spent the entire show in stunned silence with my mouth hanging open. It was just surreal.

Thanks for everything.

Ashley

5. GT Says:

April 23rd, 2012 at 8:03 pm

What a great show! I’ve been a fan since Trinity Session came out, although I have to admit I haven’t heard a lot of the more recent material. But, I’ll be checking out the Nomad Series and expecially like Sing in My Meadow . . . 3rd Crusade was probably my favorite from the show Friday. Anyway, we look forward to your next visit to the area!

6. Cindy Says:

April 24th, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I may have been the one cackling on “Fuck I hate the cold!!” I LOVE THAT SONG!!! I had accepted that I might not hear it, but was overjoyed that you finally sang it. My friend and I came in from KC. She’s been a fan for 20+ years. I’m a new fan, but now a huge fan. You all are truly amazing and so, so talented. Thanks for visiting this little part of the Midwest!

7. Malia Says:

April 27th, 2012 at 10:00 am

I wish I knew you were playing Omaha, definitely would have been there! Please come back, consider Lincoln, as well!