Tour Diary – Newport, Rhode Island (August 4, 2012)

We played the Newport Yacht Club tonight…or something like that…..our show was part of a summer long music festival that takes place on or beside the yacht clubs grounds. In any case, there were a lot of boats around: lots of really big boats. If you’re looking for your disposable income….I think I found it floating in Newport Harbour. The money in this town is astounding. The downtown tourist section, set on the waterfront, and right where we sat all day, is in immaculate shape, it could be (and probably has been) a movie set for a late 18th century New England period-piece. It’s all just a tad overwhelming, too much Hollywood and not enough Rhode Island. But we had a blast hanging out in the middle of it and I’d love to visit when it isn’t high tourist season. It was a stupidly hot and humid day…I think the cooling sea breezes were blocked by the private navy towering dockside: white and shiny and on the ready. Bless the people and the organizations and the government funding that goes into putting on these festivals: they are great for us touring bands.

We had a tough time on stage tonight. The venue was one of those large, white, semi-permanent tents that get put up on waterfronts throughout the Western World during the summer months. The sound frequencies were being difficult on and offstage…..I struggled all night, but who-knows, sometimes those shows register on an unexpected level (and sometime they just suck)…..despite our problems, the audience was, once again, terrific. We may have lost some bodies by the end of the show, but that’s the nature of these types of gigs. Those that stuck around were vocal, excited and having fun. It takes all kinds of towns to make up a country. This just happens to be a very wealthy one.

This entry was posted on Monday, August 6th, 2012 at 8:15 am and is filed under Tour Diary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

6 Responses to “Tour Diary – Newport, Rhode Island (August 4, 2012)”

1. Pedropolis Says:

August 6th, 2012 at 8:33 am

Yeah, we’ve been back for a week since our trip to the folk festival…at a certain point, the wealth just evaporates for me, i try not to see people as wealthy, middle class, or poor, but there are some harsh divisions there, for sure…come to Pittsburgh, man! i know we don’t have the most sophisticated ears, but we have a cool summer series in a town 25 miles east of the ‘burgh, called http://www.summersounds.com/ — Gene James is a great curator of diverse musical stylings…Rock on, junkies…

2. Sandy & Joe Says:

August 6th, 2012 at 8:35 am

Great show despite the over whelming humidity.

3. Andy Gianelli Says:

August 6th, 2012 at 10:09 am

Despite the heat and humidity; despite the guise of filthy wealth; despite the sound problems (I didn’t notice) I had a wonderful time. As usual, The Cowboy Junkies were both professional and personable. Their stage presence belied the physical conditions and Margo was and always is terrific! I’ve been a Junie fan for over twenty-five years and they only get better. Great show!

4. Andy Gianelli Says:

August 6th, 2012 at 10:14 am

That should read “I’ve been a Junkie fan…”

5. Rosary Runner Says:

August 7th, 2012 at 6:13 pm

All night I kept thinking to myself, “The Cowboy Junkies deserve better than this venue.” The acoustics were awful. Newport Harbor Corp. (VERY wealthy, by the way) cheated us all, including TCJ. It did seem, however, that if your sound man had turned the volume down on everything, it would have made a positive difference, perhaps with the corollary benefit of encouraging the drunks to pay attention rather than blather. It was my first time hearing TCJ live, an experience I have been wanting for years, and it turned out seriously compromised. “Misery and heartache”, as the lady with the heartbreakingly beautiful voice said.

Thank you, Margo and all of TCJ, for enduring the heat and stupidity. Please return to Rhode Island, but let’s find you a better venue.

6. Krista Rousseau Says:

August 11th, 2012 at 6:26 am

It was soupy for sure, however I feel that you all sounded amazing… It is the first time I have seen you live, 2nd for my husband and we hope it won’t be the last. I thank you for coming to our “back yard”. While we don’t live in Newport, we are only 20 minutes or so away. We usually visit Newport off season ourselves – winter is a great time to tour the old Mansions. We love your sound – just a wall of music with such interesting bass lines and gorgeous vocals. Thank you for coming here – and we got to talk with you, what a treat!!