Tour Diary – Lisbon, Portugal (November 17, 2012)

One would never want to say that this type of tour is “hard work”. That would come across as so much whining and as being completely disingenuous to the systems analyst sitting in traffic as part of his ninety minute morning commute or the business manager cramming herself into the subway on route to another useless morning meeting. Drudgery is hard work and this is far from drudgery. Yes, it takes a lot of planning and frustrating false starts and the occasional leap of faith, and the hidden expenses usually gobble up most of the less-than-expected-income, but once you have partially rid yourself of the nausea of the twenty hour journey and your body stops throbbing, and you get over the $1700 excess baggage fee, you find yourself on top of a wrought iron viewing platform designed by an apprentice of Gustav Eiffel, with a 360 degree view of downtown Lisbon, with lively Rossio Square to the North, Sao Jorge castle sitting high above the city to the East, the skeletal remains of Convento do Carmo sitting within a stones’ throw to the West and the vast port of Lisbon, the one-time commercial center of the world, to the South. It is then that you take a long, deep breath and think…”I am one lucky son-of-a-bitch”.

And to top it all off, once you have finished aimlessly ambling through the streets of Lisbon and marvelling at the centuries old alleyways, nooks and crannies of the Alfama district (Lisbons oldest neighborhood), you get to go and play your music in front of 1200 excited people who have been anticipating your appearance for months. I don’t say this out of any desire for self-aggrandisement, but simply to, once again, say thank you to those of you whose interest and appreciation for what we do has allowed us to live this fairytale existence for the past twenty-five years. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The gig tonight was at the relatively new and exceptionally beautiful Centro Cultural de Belem. A cultural, marble palace built in the late 1990’s, back when the economy allowed for such “frivolities”. It is just up the street from the world famous Belem Patisserie, so we journeyed down there after soundcheck to check out their renowned custard tarts (the secret recipe for which is known by only three people in the world). They were unbelievably tasty…such hardship, but someone’s got to do it. It was a fantastic gig tonight in front of an appreciative and enthusiastic audience: an excellent start to our little working holiday.

This entry was posted on Monday, November 19th, 2012 at 5:07 am and is filed under Tour Diary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

11 Responses to “Tour Diary – Lisbon, Portugal (November 17, 2012)”

1. Hugo Says:

November 19th, 2012 at 7:10 am

Hi First of all, i would like to thank you for the great show you've gave to us. It was great to be with you all, after a long wait. I could felt how different and honest is your way to do and live music. Once again, thank you!Thank you for these simple and sincere words, about your tour in Lisbon. What a lovely, sweet and velvet voice Margo have! Thank's to you all. P.s. Can you tell me wich fender bass guitar Alan uses?

2. Celma Padamo Says:

November 19th, 2012 at 8:13 am

You guys are wonderful. I hear you since I was 16 years old and you still amazing recording great songs. I attended the your first concert here in the Aula Magna (University City). Remember that? Just love it… Congratulations and Margo your voice is better than ever…. Please come again! You're are very welcome! Good luck for the rest of the tour with lots of Christmas presents. I already had mine: stunning concert and a wonderfull CD.

3. Mike Timmins Says:

November 19th, 2012 at 8:25 am

Alan uses a Fender Jazz.

4. Words+Photos Says:

November 19th, 2012 at 11:23 am

Photos from the wonderful lisbon Show. Enjoy

5. Jose Says:

November 19th, 2012 at 11:59 am

Nice to see you enjoyed your time in Lisbon. I´m writing from Porto and hope the same is happening here. See you in a couple of hours at Casa da Musica (another recent - finished in 2005 – and slightly megalomaniac project).

P.S.: Allow me just a small correction: the Centro Cultural de Belem is from the early nineties.

6. Branca Says:

November 19th, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Great concert! Every song was good the new ones and not known, the new ones I am getting to know and the old ones! You were really performing !!!

thanks

7. Bernardino Ribeiro Says:

November 19th, 2012 at 3:31 pm

TY junkies.

Was a great peacefull concert. Really enjoyed the first part, checked here in the website and listenned to a lot of the new songs.

It's no easy for anyone of us to face the years passing by, but you all are able to do that with such class!! That must be something to do with canadians… you do it the same way Cohen does, pure style!

8. Jose Says:

November 20th, 2012 at 3:50 am

Lovely concert yesterday. Thank you. Taking the chance of being annoying, may I ask Margo not to stress so many times that the 'old' songs are coming? It's true that around here many people don't know the new ones (I had to buy the Nomad Series box set from Amazon UK) but they're absolutely great.

9. Jorge Says:

November 20th, 2012 at 9:02 am

After missing your first and only concert in Portugal some years ago, I always waited anxiously for a second chance, which I was fortunate enough to get it last saturday evening in Lisbon! What a great concert! Like a good wine, you are getting better and better as time goes by, so I hope you come back soon!

Got your signed Nomad Series box, but I wish I could have got some autographs, personally, after the show. Perhaps next time…

Anyway, there is sometihng that still puzzles me. If, after all these years,  Jeff Bird is always participating in your records and tours, as an accomplished and excellent musician that contributes a lot to the sound of CJ, why wasn't he formally included in the band?

10. Hugo Says:

November 20th, 2012 at 10:12 am

Hi again.

About the bass Alan uses, i 've notived already that was a Fender jazz bass, but could you tell me wich model of jazz is?

Thank you, and i hope to see you all very soon!

11. Diogo Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 7:43 am

Awesome performance at Casa da Música! Thank you so much for coming and playing for us. I was so glad to have my Demons CD autographed by Margo, but I missed the rest of you… The new songs are fantastic; Margo doesn't have to keep saying that the old ones are coming. I anxious to read the tour diary about Porto; please don't keep waiting too much!