Tour Diary – Vicenza and Rezzato, Italy (November 22 and 23, 2012)

November 22, 2012: It was a late night last night and an early departure this morning. Pete and John continued their search for ancient demons below Jared’s room, but failed to gain access to their lair. We hung out and talked and drank with some of the local musicians and journalists and music lovers from the area. It’s a very fragmented music scene in Italy, but it’s very passionate. It’s just difficult finding those little pockets of fanatics, but I would have no problem spending a month here, travelling from town to town, searching: so much pleasure to be found in the journey in this country. In the past couple of days I have signed many covers of rare Junkies vinyl, including a mint condition copy of the Hunger Project single….I think we only manufactured about 500 of those and that was thirty years ago. As I said, there are passionate pockets.

We piled in to the van way too early this morning for a drive that was a couple of hours too long. We are all definitely feeling the pain of enjoying a bit too much of Europe after hours. The gig tonight was in the small room at the newly built performing arts center: a nice building but a bit cold and lacking personality. We were told in Rivoli that the tickets for this show were way over-priced and perhaps that is the reason for the small audience tonight. The audience also seemed to be affected by the more formal surroundings and were a little reserved, but we made the best of it and had a decent night on stage. Since it was an “early” show tonight, 8:30pm, plans were made for us to have a late dinner. So at midnight we sat down with the promoter (who treated us like gold) and his wife and a few of his friends at a beautiful little restaurant, tucked away behind the Vicenza’s main square. We were once again wined and dined and didn’t stumble out of the restaurant until 2am: another excellent meal, another night with too few hours sleep.

November 23, 2012: This morning I forced myself to get up a couple of hours before bus call so that I could spend some time wandering around. Vicenza is a very wealthy city, you can see it in the clothes that the locals are wearing, you can see the prosperity in their skin, the young women positively glow. It is also a spectacularly beautiful city with some of the most stunning Renaissance architecture in Italy, with over twenty buildings designed by the Andres Palladio, one of the most influential architects in the history of Western architecture. If you’re lucky enough to be heading to Venice (about 100 miles from here) try and spend a couple of days in Vicenza, you will be happy that you did.

It was a short drive to Rezzato, back toward Milan, a little town on the outskirts of who knows where. There was not much time to explore the new surroundings today and I had little inclination to leave the hotel before soundcheck. The hotel was originally built as a palace by some no-account Venetian count who took a liking to Versailles and wanted his own smaller version in the Italian countryside.  Centuries go by and now the building hosts conventioneers and travelling rock bands….so I guess not much has changed when you get right down to it. Ironically, on the day that we stay at the most glamorous hotel on the tour, we play at the crappiest venue: an old movie theater that has seen better days and a dressing room lodged in its basement that was not only disgusting but had the strangest, darkest vibe. Fortunately we had a decent sized audience tonight and they were enthusiastic and engaged from the first chord. They infused us with their energy and we had a great show, an excellent way to end the tour.

This has been a great little jaunt through Portugal and Italy: enthusiastic fans, great food, new places and some excellent music. Tomorrow we make the long trek back to Toronto and start to settle in to the Holiday season. We’ll be back at it in January, unless the world ends on December 21st, so stay tuned and stay safe.

Tags: , ,

This entry was posted on Sunday, November 25th, 2012 at 11:31 am and is filed under Tour Diary. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

12 Responses to “Tour Diary – Vicenza and Rezzato, Italy (November 22 and 23, 2012)”

1. fulvio+emy Says:

November 25th, 2012 at 12:51 pm

we were so happy to hear your show moved from Milan to Rezzato (close to the lake we live by). Great musicians, great voice… a pleasure (Vic's songs included) We love your music from years. Thank you

2. Marco Says:

November 25th, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I was in both show, Vicenza and Rezzato, and I had a great time. I agree about the venues: too formal in Venice, a slum in Rezzato. But I do not agree about the public in Vicenza: yes, maybe we seemed too cold but  instead we were truly devoted. No one clapped his hands until the very last note of every songs. It sounds strange in a rock concert where the audience is expected to yawl, but it was a form of respect: let the artist play and clap only at the end, just like happens in classical music.
    However, thanks for two great evenings and, please, remember that we, the "pockets" of truly devoted, can't wait another six years without your music..

3. Andrea Says:

November 26th, 2012 at 3:05 am

I still can't believe that you came in our small Rezzato village!. GRAZIE! It was a wonderful show, and I was not the same after that… Your music is  kind of

healing medicine (for the souls!). Even the crap theater vanished, and  just the opposite your performance  was more sparkling in that environment. COME BACK SOON!

4. Roberto Says:

November 26th, 2012 at 4:19 am

Great show, thanks so much!!! Wonderful music and wonderful persons too, I admire that so much,

thanks,

Roberto

5. z_wald Says:

November 26th, 2012 at 12:54 pm

We were lucky enough to be nearby Vicenza that weekend, so we added an extra train ride and an extra hotel just so we'd be able to see the show.  Just wanted to let you know that there were a couple of Canadian "pockets" in the audience as well, and we had a great time.  We enjoyed every minute of it!

Also, I love the panoramas you add to the blog, I'm a 'panorama guy' myself, and it's nice to seem them put to such good use.

Thanks again for a great night.

Z

6. Antonio Says:

November 27th, 2012 at 4:38 am

I was in Rezzato (from Milano), for that wonderfull night, the concert was so emotional and the Margo presence so elegant and sofisticated I was completely fascinated. I need a favor: can somebody put a response with the complete songlist? Many THANKS

7. Alessandro Says:

November 27th, 2012 at 3:11 pm

set I    Wrong Piano  I Cannot Sit Sadly By Your Side  Streger Here  See You Around  Square Room (Vic Chesnutt)  Third Crusade  Demaged From the Start  Unanswered Letter  Supernatural (Vic Chesnutt) set II  Intro  Sweet Jane (Lou Reed)  Those Final Feet  A Common Disaster  Where Are You Tonight  Working on a Building  Five Room Love Story  Rake (Townes Van Zandt)  My Little Basquiat  Just Want to See  Misguided Angel encores  Blue Moon Revisited (Song For Elvis)  Murder Tonight in the Trailer Park     I was in Vicenza and in Rezzato. Two great but different show. Vicenza was better as location, "audio" and flowers….:) but Rezzato in my opinion was a better show thanks to the crowd. All members of the band have been extraordinary; many thanks to Margo, Michael, Pete, Alan and Jeff. Well, now we need to see you again here in Italy. Next year?

8. alex Says:

November 28th, 2012 at 2:38 am

In Rezzato from Genoa. Siete fantastici! Please, ritornate!

9. Antonio Says:

November 28th, 2012 at 4:44 am

Thank yo, Alessandro, for the songlist

Antonio

10. Alessandro Says:

November 28th, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Setlist i posted was from REZZATO.

11. Lazze Says:

November 30th, 2012 at 3:39 am

I  was in Vicenza, from Bologna! An enchanted couple of hours! A beautiful night! I've been lucky…I waited for Cowboy Junkies live for a couple of decades…and I had it after the release of a MASTERPIECE like the Nomad Series. What's to be said? Thank you!…I'm gathering fans for you to come to Bologna! It could be a good place to gather all the italian pockets together! Michele

12. Luigi Says:

December 7th, 2012 at 8:39 am

I was in Chiari on November 8th, 2001 and it was a very long wait to see you again but … the concert in Rezzato was really great: excellent music, fantastic atmosphere and a lot of fun!

Thanks a lot for coming and hope to see you again very soon in Italy.
    … and don't forget Milano is also waiting for you!!!